Bonjela is a clear gel, which is applied to the inside of the mouth or gums. It contains choline salicylate (a pain killer and anti-inflammatory) which soothes the sore areas in the mouth, and antiseptic called cetalkonium chloride, which kills bacteria and helps prevent infection. Bonjela can be used to relieve pain and reduce inflammation and help fight infection in infant teething, mouth ulcers, cold sores, and sore spots due to dentures in adults and orthodontic devices in children.
How To Use:
Bonjela is for oral topical use on the mouth and gums. Check that the cap seal is unbroken before first using this product. Apply with a clean finger.
Children (from 4 months) – massage a pea sized amount of gel onto the sore area, not more than once every 3 hours. Do not apply more than six times in 24 hours.
Adults – Massage approximately 1cm of the gel onto the sore area, not more than once every 3 hours.
Orthodontic Devices – Apply to sore area as described above, not more than once every 3 hours.
Dentures Irritation – Apply to the gums and leave at least 30 minutes before re-insertion of the dentures. Do not apply directly to the dentures.
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
If your symptoms do not improve after 7 days of treatment you should contact your doctor.
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to the active ingredients or any of the ingredients listed
- if you are currently taking aspirin or other salicylate, except under direction of a doctor
- in children under 4 months
- if you have active or a history of recurrent stomach ulcer
- if you are currently suffering from chicken pox or flu particularly in children and adolescents under 16 years of age
- Take special care with Bonjela:
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, please consult your doctor before use
- if there is no improvement after 7 days, consult your doctor
- especially in children, as frequent application may give rise to salicylate poisoning.
Salicylates may enhance the effect of blood thinning medicines (anticoagulants) and can decrease the effect of medicines to treat gout (uricosurics) such as probenic acid. Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or your pharmacist.
- Important information about some of the ingredients of Bonjela.
Bonjela contains a small amount of ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per dose. Ethanol may be unsuitable for use in some patients who have epilepsy or brain damage or who cannot tolerate alcohol.
Contains glycerol, may be harmful in high doses and can cause headache, stomach upset and diarrhoea.
The active ingredients are choline salicylate 8.714% w/w and cetalkonium chloride 0.01% w/w. The other ingredients are ethanol, glycerol, levomenthol, hypromellose 4500, star anise oil, saccharin sodium and purified water.