Dulcolax Suppositories contain a medicine called bisacodyl which belongs to a group of medicines known as stimulant laxatives, which increase bowel movement. Dulcolax Suppositories stimulate the muscles of the bowel (large intestine), helping to return the body to its natural rhythm. Dulcolax® 10mg suppositories can provide constipation relief within 10- 30 minutes. Dulcolax Suppositories are used for the short-term relief of occasional constipation. This medicine does not help with weight loss.
How To Use
If this medicine is from your doctor or pharmacist, do exactly as they have told you. Otherwise, follow the instructions below. If you do not understand the instructions, or if you are not sure, ask your pharmacist or doctor. This product should not to be given to children except on medical advice.
As with all laxatives, Dulcolax Suppositories should not be used every day for more than 5 days. If you need laxatives every day, or if you have abdominal pain which does not go away, you should see your doctor.
How much to use for constipation
Adults and children over 10 years: Put one 10 mg suppository into the back passage for immediate effect. Only use one suppository per day.
How to use the suppositories
The suppositories should only be used in your back passage.
- Take off the foil wrapping
- Lie on one side and pull your knees up towards your chest. Keep one leg drawn up more than the other
- Use your first finger (index finger) or middle finger to push in the suppository
- Gently push the suppository as far as possible into your back passage, pointed end first
- Once it is as far as it will go, push it side-ways to make sure it touches the wall of the bowel
- Lower your legs to a comfortable position whilst the suppository is retained in place
- Keep the suppository inside you for at least 30 minutes.
If you feel the suppository might come out straight away:
- You may not have put it in high enough. Push it in as far as possible
- Try to keep it in for 30 minutes, even if you feel like you urgently need to go to the toilet. This is how long it takes to work.
- Please read the enclosed package leaflet carefully before use.
- If symptoms persist consult your doctor.
- Do not exceed the stated dose.
- If laxatives are needed every day or there is persistent abdominal pain, consult your doctor.
- Each suppository contains 10 mg of bisacodyl.